DANCE RECOVERY ENVIRONMENT(DRE): TRANSITIONING TO A POST-COVID19 NEW NORMAL.
DRE is Dance Career Recovery/Transition option that can be used immediately following the COVID19 Pandemic, when Social Distancing restrictions have been lifted and you deem your locality/community safe. It will assist you through the uncertainties of negotiating a “New Normal” of a Post-Covid19 Society and its income uncertainties, while returning you immediately to maximum movement productivity with minimal cost to you individually.
The negative impacts and limitations of COVID 19 Pandemic on Dance/Dancers.- (You know what they are)
1. Not moving/performing- Group, Studio, Physical Classes, Community.
2. Limited Income, Income avenues and support- Employment, Grants etc. etc.
3. Neglect- Social, Emotional, Physical, Creative & Community.
4. Unsure of upcoming “New Normal” in terms of income, Community etc .
The Benefits of DRE
1. Invest in the immediate development of your self.
2. Do it in a group setting of Peers
3. Group Development- Sharing of information/Maximum Growth.
4. Career reset opportunity.
5. Low Cost.- Only studio space rental costs.
6. Individual development- Bring your knowledge/experience/creativity including the knowledge and experience gained through virtual means during the “Social Pause”. You are investing in yourself first and your group of Peers next.- A priority during recovery/transition. Re-Build Yourself, Re-Build your Community.
7. This Social Pause is expected to level the playing field in numerous professions, including Dance. It is expected to identify strengths and weaknesses, disrupt pre-established structures if necessary, while building new ones, opening up the environment to explore further with your Peers. DRE provides an option.
There are 2 Stages to DRE: Stage 1. You plan your DRE environment now during the Pandemic. Stage 2. You implement it immediately upon the lifting of Social restrictions.
Stage 1. Plan during the Pandemic (Which is now)
1. Identify your group of Dancer Peers and contact them. Max 8-12.
2. Peers- You define it- Ex: Abilities, Interests, Aesthetic, Knowledge, (Experience- Community Leadership-Working Group) etc etc .
3. Introduce DRE to them and gauge participation interest until you have your group.
4. Plan- Sessions: Dance Fundamentals, Technique, Improvisation, Choreography. Identify, build and add as needed: Frequency- 3-5 times per week. More as needed and able.
5. Identify and reserve Dance studio space- Contingent upon normalcy date.
6. Peer Environment- Sessions will be led by each Group member on a rotational basis for maximum experience and development. You will be participating, thinking, leading, Creating & Moving.
7. Costs- You will be pooling the group’s financial resources together for only Studio space rental costs. There are no other costs. You will not be hiring Teachers, giving you that experience of teaching.
Stage 2. IMPLEMENT
1. Meet with your group of peers immediately after the Social distancing restrictions have been lifted.
2. Rent Studio space.
3. Implement your plan/sessions immediately.
5. Continue with DRE until the “New Normal” has stabilized.
If you find DRE beneficial to your return to Movement Normalcy, BEGIN STAGE 1 NOW.
DRE is free to apply and use by any Dancer, anywhere. It is based on The Open Source Dance Methodology (OSD) developed by Manjunan Gnanaratnam in the mid 2000’s to address the critical needs of a specific Dance Demographic.